Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Thumbing Through History



Have you ever taken a good look at some old photos? Well, I decided to tonight. I received some sad news. One of my mom's brothers evidentally took his life this past Thursday. He had cancer, unbeknownst to me. He went in for surgery at the beginning of the month and as a result of his pain medication, he became depressed. Even more unfortunate was his wife was a couple of rooms away and I can only imagine what she is going through. I don't know if my uncle was truly aware of himself or his circumstances that fateful night. I only know my family is deeply saddened by his loss. Seems I have had to face a lot of that the last year or so. My dad's parents left the earth last year. G'ma had cancer and her treatments left her vulnerable to infection. She contracted a lung infection. She lived two months longer than the doctors said she would. G'pa was depressed over losing his wife of more than 60 years. He took his life four months later. It was a hard hit for the family. PRAY and pray more is what I find myself doing. Anyhow, looking through the pictures, I found some fun pictures from my past. Some fun pics and some pics I would rather not exist. I thought I might share.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jen,
I'ts cool seeing old pictures!!

amyanne said...

I read this in Beth Moor's Breaking Free Bible study this morning...

"Life involves change. Change involve's loss. Loss involves death of one kind or another. I believe we can discover a new way to apply the words of Apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 4:11, "For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body." Every time we are delivered over to a death of any kind, we encounter a challange to allow the loss to bring gain for Jesus' sake."

"The life of a Christian is never about sameness. It's always about change. That's why we must learn to survive and once agian thrive when change involves heartbreaking loss. We're being conformed to the image of Christ. When our hearts are hemorrhaging with grief and loss, never forget that Christ binds and compresses it with a nail-scarred hand. Life will not ever be the same., the you have the invitation from Christ to raise to a new life."

Maybe this will help in your season of loss.

Jen's Journey said...

Thank you. Yes, that is very helful and I appreciate your encouraging thoughts. It is always a great comfort knowing we are not alone in our journey. Knowing Christ cares, knowing people care ... It is an amazing thought to me and I couldn't be more grateful for His love.
I think I have said this before, but I know he will mold me through the loss. Loss is something that we will always struggle with and I have began the struggle early in life. But, He is the great Healer and I know He lifts me up.