Thursday, April 19, 2007

Heavy Heart

It was a difficult day. Difficult to keep my focus. It seemed every little detail was being picked apart by me, my editor, life. I even had my toughest interview ... The kind I had only heard about. And, she was the one to request the interview! But, I felt God holding me together. I felt him as I talked to my aunt for the first time in close to 18 years. I talked to my cousin, too. I told them how sorry I was for allowing life to get in the way of my contact with them. I told them how sorry for the loss of my uncle. My aunt assured me she knew I loved them and so did my uncle. She said they had not exactly been the ones to pick up a phone and call. But, we all kept track of each other via my grandparents. So, God allowed me to feel the forgiveness and love He has for me through her kind words. My cousin was more upbeat than I expected. But, she always was an optimist. And through her optimism, I was reminded that life is too short to dwell on the past. After exchanging contact information, I turned to my Bible and read through Psalm 147. How comforting it is to know He heals the brokenhearted and bandages all wounds. It is a promise we all know in our minds, but reading it seals it in the heart. The pain and loss is only for but a short time in the great patchwork of life as God has granted it to us. He will take us home and that moment will be but a thread in all of eternity.

No comments: