Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Gullible and Naive

Today I was having a discussion regarding how gullible I am or can be. I asked if this is such a bad trait. The response was no. But, some times I feel it can be due to the fact that there are some who prey on it. Others are turned off by it because they see an adult who should understand a joke.
The other issue is my “child-like” excitement over things that some might think the enthusiasm is a little too strong. I get excited when I meet someone new and find similar interests. I “go overboard” in my eagerness to befriend them. Then, they are turned off because of this.
My friend stated these are signs of a pure heart. I don’t think of myself as being pure of heart. But, perhaps that is because I feel as though I am not the great person God believes me to be. I don’t have the same image of myself that God and people who do come to become my friends see.
I think there are many of us in the world who have issues of seeing what others do. We have trouble believing God sees us purely and unhindered. He knows our hearts, souls and minds.
So, if there were only some way I could learn to not become so over-exuberant as to turn off others … Or perhaps God made me this way merely to help me weed out my true friends from those who would not be healthy for me. I am not sure. I have always been this way and I doubt I will ever change, no matter how hard I try.
Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart. - I Peter 1:22

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love you just for who you are!! I could not imagine you any other way so please never question your true self, and you Jen have always been your true self. Love ya-L

Jen's Journey said...

I know and you are one of the true friends I mentioned. I talked about you today... When I was talking to my "friend" about being gullible and how much your friendship has brought to me. I love ya, too. :)