Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Reconnecting generates an education

I wrote this for the April 20 edition of the Daily Sun News

Since reconnecting with a former schoolmate, I have been reading a new set of novels based on historical events, learning some blogging techniques and gaining some insight on creative writing skills.
I can’t use all these new creative writing skills at work, but I have been inspired.
The former schoolmate is the sister of a member of my graduating class. I remember her very well and always had admiration for her.
She is an inspiration to me in that I have been reminded to follow my dreams and not give up. Tricia has also inspired me to remember I can’t get there alone.
This woman amazes me. She is a published novelist and a woman of faith. She always was kind to me, but the new dimension in which I have come to know her, broadens my respect for her.
Tricia has a great life story. She was much like I was, growing up. We faced a lot of the same struggles in our small hometown. But, she found God during what could have been one of the most difficult times in her life.
Through her faith, she met people who encouraged her and helped her to become the person she is. She met people who helped her realize her worth because God led her to them.
I strongly believe He led me to reconnecting with her. I know He has plans for me. And, if He uses her to help me realize my dreams, I couldn’t be happier.
I am grateful for the friendships I have developed in my life. I am grateful for the encouragement I receive from those friendships. This connection is different, but it doesn’t detract from those special bonds. I am only richer for knowing there is someone else with whom I can relate.
Oh! Those historical novels are awesome, too. They are so rich in the struggles of various people who lived through World War II. I think the best part of reading them is developing a greater appreciation for our history and the fact that I have not had to face the torment that was placed upon so many people during WWII.
Blogging can also be an interesting tool. It is a great way to gain insight and perspective. Several people on the blogs I have been visiting have such a potpourri of knowledge and experience.
It amazes me to find so much support is out there. I am looking forward to learning and growing even more than I thought possible.
You never know when you might find yourself in a situation of reconnecting and gaining much more than you ever anticipated. So, don’t be afraid to check out an old classmate or friend.

No comments: