Friday, December 28, 2007

Each day is my new beginning


We are quickly approaching the new year and I grimace. I don’t like the questions regarding New Year’s resolutions.
I am not one to make New Year’s resolutions. I tend to believe each day is another day to resolve to make myself better…not just that one day of the year that marks the new year’s beginning.
Because we don’t know what tomorrow will bring, I believe in making today a better day.
I resolve each morning to show more compassion toward others, be more patient with my family and do what is right when confronted with decisions placed before me.
I don’t make grandiose resolutions to lose weight or anything of that nature because I believe in changing myself from the inside out.
I don’t believe in making what I think of as empty promises, either. If I promise something, I believe in doing my best to keep that promise no matter how I feel about it when the time comes to do so.
I am not saying I am some saint. Lord knows I can only try to be a better person. I can pray for help. But, in the end, I know I can’t be a better person each and every day because I am human. I make mistakes. I get cranky. I become impatient. I have bad days.
But, I can try. I can hope.
That is what New Year’s Day means to me. It means we can hope. We can hope to have a better year than the last. We can hope that those around us are touched with our love, kindness and good will. We can hope that God will help us to become who He wants us to be.
Ultimately, we don’t know what circumstances will come our way with each new year. We only hope that those circumstances will be happy ones and we will be made stronger for experiencing the not-so-happy circumstances.
The same can be said of each new day. So, I suggest we resolve to make the best of each day given to us…not just each year.

1 comment:

Nighfala said...

Fabulous photo, Jen!!!!!! Wow!!!!