Friday, November 16, 2007

Stickler for manners and etiquette


by Jennie McGhan
I am an advocate of displaying proper manners and etiquette in public.
Daily, I find myself telling my three children to display proper manners and to apologize when I feel they have been rude to someone.
Perhaps our society is becoming accustomed to behavior that was considered rude when I was a child. I am not sure. But, there have been times that I have told my children to apologize for rushing ahead and essentially cutting off another’s path. The response of those whom I felt were wronged, “You’re sorry for what?”
Or, maybe it is the mere fact that my children are still very young and it doesn’t faze people when these incidents take place.
Recently, I was inside an establishment to purchase my lunch. A group of teens entered the establishment, carrying food from another eatery. They did not order from the establishment in which they had decided to plant their young rears. No, they had the nerve to ask for napkins for the food they had already purchased.
This struck me as very appalling. I was very curious as to how the employee at the counter felt about the teens’ attitude. She said it had been the second time the same group had come in with food from another business. She told me they did not order anything from her the first time, either.
I tried to be as polite as possible, informing her that she had every right to ask the group of teens to leave.
I am still astounded that this group of teens felt they were not in the wrong.
However, I do not want to paint this group as the “norm.” I have been very fortunate to meet several youth in our community, who have exhibited manners and etiquette.
I have met youngsters willing to hold a door open for me and many have had the common courtesy of saying, “Please” and “Thank you.”
I just hope others are as appreciative of the teens and young children with these attributes as I am.

No comments: