Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Growing up with character


Okay, I don't often like to "brag" on my children because some times I feel that it is too much. My children are not always obedient and they aren't geniuses, but I love them dearly and believe they are perfect in God's eyes. So, I am hoping this comes across as bragging because of who I have "trained up" my eldest child to become in Christ.

I went shopping with my three darlings, whom too many people think are so adorable. I would like to ask them to spend a week with these little angels because they can be awfully ornery and stubborn.

On this particular trip, B insisted he bring his allowance because his little brother was going to have a birthday in just a few days. I thought that was wonderful of him to think of his little brother, not expecting him to truly follow through at the age of 10. I figured he would find something he would like and buy that under the guise of his brother's birthday present.

So, we shop and he asks me to let him know a good time to sneak off to purchase the present he KNOWS his brother will like. I tell him just before I am getting to the meat to go find the present and go to a register to make his purchase. I would meet him at the vehicle.

Low and behold! The child spent approximately half of his money on a Lightning McQueen toy that his brother really did end up loving.

To me, this showed so much character. He could have left all the gift purchases up to me. But, he did this and I am so proud of him.

The youngest child's birthday was this past Saturday, June 9. One of his "most favoritest toys" is the one his Bubba bought him.

I let my son know how proud I am of him. I am proud that he has a heart for the Lord and occasionally forgets to be selfish. At 10, I hardly believe he is capable of being so selfless and mature. But, he is growing up and with the Lord's help, he will become quite a wonderful young man.

2 comments:

Nighfala said...

This is such a great story! We have been working really hard at getting our son to share - He's an only child and gets spoiled by default (i.e. there's more money for toys, he gets to choose everything without reference to a sibling, etc.) He thinks we have an endless supply of money to buy all the ones he doesn't have yet.

Anyway, I've been impressing on him that his other friends don't have as many different Thomas or Cars movie characters as he does, for example, so now when he sees one that he already has he says "Mommy, I want to buy that for so-and-so! He doesn't have it!"

So now we have discussions about how I don't have endless money to buy his friends toys, either! But it's still cute! And I'm proud of him. Okay, so he still wants everything, but he wants everyone else to have everything too.

Jen's Journey said...

The little ones are so much fun. My youngest thinks he wants everything also. However, I have discovered that in spite of his expressed desires, he is usually just happy with the simplest of things such as time with a 25 cent bouncing ball and time with his family. :)

But, love your story. It took a while to get each of my children at the young ages to understand that birthday gifts for a cousin or friend were FOR the other person. Now, they can't wait to give the gifts to the person intended and oftentimes they want to spoil the surprise because they are excited to give.

God Bless, Christine! I am so happy to call you "friend."